Much as astrological (or zodiac) signs are considered to be indicators of certain personality types, numerologically significant numbers serve as similar category designators. Just as someone born a Capricorn exhibits some similarities in disposition to others sharing that sign; those who share the same numerological numbers are found to have traits and characteristics in common.
In many respects, numerology is the study of human personality. Who we are and how we cope as we travel down the road of life exerts an unrivalled influence on what we humans like to call “destiny”. Numerology quantifies this phenomenon.
One of numerology’s basic tenets holds that the date of your birth and the name bestowed upon you on that day wield profound influences over your entire life. Reduced to their one digit numerological values, birth date and name are able to reveal information on many facets of individual personality and character.
Core Numbers: Personality Insight
There are five so called core numbers in numerology which when taken in the aggregate can reveal the character and personality of a person, as well as challenges and opportunities they may expect to encounter in life.
The five core numbers are (in order of importance):
• Life Path: derived from full birthdate; reveals the way life will unfold. It impacts personality and character to a great degree.
• Expression: derived from the full name; identifies ultimate goal, strengths and weaknesses
• Personality: better termed “Outer Personality” this number is derived from the consonants of the full name. It gives insight into your public persona, i.e., how others perceive you.
• Heart’s Desire: derived from the vowels in your full name, this number reveals your particular motivation in life which underlies all your actions and decisions; in other words your inspiration and passion.
• Birth Day: is simply the numerical day of birth. All people born on a particular day of any month—say the 5th –exhibit similar characteristics and traits. This number reveals inherent skills and likely challenges to be faced. It reveals much of the “Inner Personality”.
Several of the core values are interrelated and effect similar aspects of an individual. Because it is difficult to separate core numbers and their influences from each other, one must really evaluate all the core numbers in order to arrive at a complete numerology personality profile. In that sense, numerology is a very holistic system.
The human personality is multifaceted; many disciplines have historically been involved in unlocking its mysteries. It is not surprising therefore; that it takes the five core numerology numbers to provide the full profile of any individual’s true self.
It may seem strange to the layman that personality and numbers can have any connection at all to each other—at first blush it seems as incongruous as comparing apples and oranges. Numerology, however, believes in an ordered universe where all things can be reduced to their numeric vibrational frequencies.
Numbers have been called the only truly universal human language, they form the basis of not only mathematics but physics, chemistry, biology—all forms of knowledge. Patterns of numbers can be found, the numerologist believes, everywhere in creation. Given an ordered universe this cannot be mere coincidence.
Numerology formed the basis of mathematics, just as astrology birthed astronomy and alchemy led to chemistry. The discipline goes back as far as ancient Babylon; the great Greek mathematician Pythagoras not only believed in numerology but practiced it with an almost religious fervor. He saw no conflict between numerological study and mathematical theory; instead he believed them indistinguishable from each other.
It is the arrogance of our modern age that we believe that we know all there is to know, and therefore we can dismiss the esoteric studies like astrology and numerology as pseudo-science not worthy of our time and attention.
What if we are wrong? It seems incredibly foolish to dismiss out of hand any tool for better understanding ourselves and the world in which we live.